Thursday 20 December 2007

Snowy Greek landscapes (photos)

And after the snowfalls on Saturday afternoon, I decided in the evening to stay at my grandparents' house for the weekend. The live in Diavata, Nea Ionia, a Northern part of Thessaloniki. The sky was clear and only some clouds appeared during night of Sunday. And suddenly, I opened my eyes at 7:30 and was so lucky to notice, that a beautiful sunrise was going to follow, as the temperature was as low as -2oC!
101_7645 101_7655 

101_7654
After all those snowfalls, I wanted so much to go to "my village" (as we say here in Greece), Petroto. Petroto is a small village North of Thessaloniki, in the countryside, where the temperature is lower and I thought, that the snow wouldn't have melt. And I was right. The snow was still covering trees and mountains, but it started melting there, too, as the temperature was higher than 0oC...

101_7680 101_7683 101_7701
101_7706 101_7709
I suppose, that the snow amount had been around 6-7cm, but some of it had already melted. The clouds started covering the sky, but because of the Cirrostratus-clouds the sun could be seen through them.

101_7715
And so, at ~02.30 Monday, it startes snowing again back in Diavata! The temperature was around 1oC, so cars and parks were being covered by the snow.

However, it wasn't snowing in all areas of Thessaloniki. For example, in Kalamaria it was raining mixed with some wet snowflakes with 3oC and 97% humidity! It continued to snow in the morning, but the temperature was rising and it finally stopped at noon...

No comments: