Saturday 16 August 2008

Nocticulent clouds! (photos)

It was 2am Saturday 26/7, while I was arriving home after a day with no weather interest. But, suddenly I noticed something strange happening toward the North horizon. You know the blue, green and yellow colors that appear on the horizon, after the sun has set? Well, I saw the same colors behind some trees at that time, so I was very confused, because the sky was dark and the sun had already set some hours earlier. I ran to a place with better sight and although it took some time to understand the phenomenon, I figured out that it was nocticulent clouds! Those clouds are usually very high in the sky, at a height of ~30km and can be seen after the sun has set.


It was a beautiful view-the sky was black and dark, but the horizon was bright because of the nocticulent clouds!
More info about those beautiful clouds can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_clouds
http://www.cloudappreciationsociety.org/gallery/index.php?x=browse&category=24&pagenum=1

No comments: